HLP workshop held in Patuakhali
A HLP Upazila workshop was held in Patuakhali on 9 June 2015. This workshop was jointly organized by National Institute of Local Government (NILG), WSP World Bank, Blue Gold Program, Max Foundation, CDD, UST, SPACE, CBM & Media Professionals Group. The workshop was presided over by Md. Bakahid Hossain, UNO of Patuakhali Sadar Upazila. Dr. Md. Golam Yahia, Joint Secretary & Director (Training & Consultancy), NILG, was the special guest on the occasion.
Chairmen, members, secretaries of different Union Parishads, representatives of water management organizations, among others, participated in this workshop. Twenty-two best practices on water and water management, sanitation, good governance were identified in this workshop. Later, participants selected seven good practices through direct voting.
The selected seven good practices are:
- Pure water supply through setting up deep tube well in Awaliapukur Union.
- Offset latrine in each house for protecting people against diseases like diarrhea, in Boro Bighai Union.
- Promoting healthy habits in school such as washing hands with soap within school and dining room, in Madarbunia Union.
- Construction of low-cost bath room in a house for women in Chotobhighai Union.
- Awareness program for holding tax collection in Jainkhati Union.
- Proper maintenance of embankment through cooperation with cooperatives
- Proper maintenance of sluice gates and culvert for proper use of high tide water.
Riad Imam Mahmud, Country Director of Max Foundation in his speech, talked about the work of his organization. Md. Aowlad Hossain & Sohrab Hossain both presented the Blue Gold program. Salim Hossain Bhuiyan, WSP-World Bank facilitated the workshop. Shantanu Lahiri of WSP-World Bank discussed about HLP for increasing the role of the Union Parishad. The workshop ended with a work plan on future actions of HLP in this locality.